Monday, September 13, 2010

Family Night Activity

A couple Mondays ago Lucy was in charge of our Family Home Evening (FHE) activity. She chose to go swimming. We have some friends in our congregation from church that practically beg us to come and swim because they want their pool to get used. We don't mind because the girls LOVE to swim.






I am not sure how these girls became so fearless, but I went down this particular slide once and it was my last time. It is too steep of a drop for my liking. And a bit to narrow for my voluptuous hips.

This slide reminds me of a much larger slide I went down nearly 15 years ago at Seven Peaks
in Utah. Our family was on the last week of our 3 week cross country camping vacation and some friends of my parents, who lived in Utah, suggested this particular water park.


Driving up I was filled with great anticipation. I enjoyed swimming and water slides. Little did I know how these water slides would impact my feelings of them for the rest of my life.

If you click on the Seven peaks link right up there, it will take you to the tour of the park. You can view the different water slides available. I can't remember if it was the straight down blue one (sky Breaker) or the yellow one (jagged edge) but this is how the story went.

My twin sister, and little brother headed up the more than 6 story high stair way to the very top. Those slides didn't look to steep from ground level looking up. It looked like FUN! So up we went.

Once up there, we may have realized that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to go on the BIG slides. We tried getting our little brother to go down first , but he was pretty panicky. My sister and I were pretty scared ourselves. Somehow I was the one who ended up going first.

Instructions from the water slide attendant : Cross your arms and lay them over your chest. NO MATTER WHAT, KEEP YOUR LEGS CROSSED TOGETHER! And stay flat on your back.

Okaaaayy?!!?

My heart was pounding so hard. I crossed my arms, tightly crossed my legs, scooted to the edged of the slide to start dropping, and the next thing I knew the force of gravity had ripped my legs apart making me vulnerable to what naturally will happen to anyone who does not successfully KEEP THEIR LEGS CROSSED NO MATTER WHAT!

I get down to the bottom of the slide in the 4.5 seconds it says it takes to get to the bottom, only to find that my bathing suit has been wedged so tightly in between my cheeks that it causes a burning sensation. I get up only to find that my bowels had been filled with, not mercy, but high velocity water.

My sister had gone right after me and we both realized that we needed to quickly get to the bathroom. So we waddled to the nearby bathroom to spend the next several minutes getting rid of the unnaturally given enemas.


We both laughed hysterically through our pain. My brother got off the ride jumping up and down saying "ow, ow, ow, ow!"


Needless to say we stayed on the much smaller less dramatic dropping water slides for the rest of the day.

So even though our friends water slide was not over 6 stories high, more like 7 feet, steep is steep to me. I am not one for the free fall feeling. But if you are the "thrill seeker" type or if you want to clean out your system, then I recommend you try out the Seven peaks water park.

7 comments:

Amanda Duke said...

Oh my I am terrified of water slides because of Seven Peaks! I went down one of those super steep ones and my downfall was I didn't keep my arms tight to my chest. As I went over the edge I was expecting to catch air off the slide and naturally freaked out since I was like a billion miles above the ground. I flailed my arms out and when I got to the bottom my arm was burning. I got a burn on my arm from the side of the slide and swore to never go down it again!

Amanda Duke said...

*Correction: I wasn't expecting to catch air.

Denise said...

I went down one of those slides, too. It was horrible! But, you can't back down once you are up there or a person would never live it down! Funny story.

That video is cool. What kind of camera do you have that goes under water? Super fun family night...our nights plans quickly changed from fun to "you guys watch tv, we will clean up the overflow issue in the bathroom..." It was a fun night. lol

Happy Mom said...

Hilarious!!!

I refuse to go down really steep, high ones! So, thankfully, I have no stories to share!

Marcia said...

Wow, brave kids!

Marcia said...

p.s. My favorite line is "... not mercy..."!! :)

Andrea said...

AAAAH!!! Hahahaha!!! That's one of the funniest stories I've read in a while. I died just now. Thanks for sharing!