I learned after we had our second child that our first child spoke unusually early and unusually clear. I just thought that that was how all children were. Every child after Emma though has proven that she was the exception not the rule.
Lately I have been pondering how the little people talk. Particularly Lucy. She just turned 3 last month. She has the most engaging brown eyes with the perfect set of round cheeks to enhance her eyes beauty with. Her speech, I suppose is how most 3 year olds speak. I have been working with her for several months now to help her with some sounding of specific letters. Like the sound a "G" makes and the letter "J" sound, the "CH" sound and so forth. I didn't realize it till today but instead of saying Grandma and Grandpa she says "Damma and Dampa" Nice huh!
When we work on the letter sounds I have her say the letters of the word individually first, but when I ask her to say it all together she reverts back to the wrong annunciation of it. Like this:
Me:Okay say "Ga"
Lucy: "Ga"
Me: "RA"
Lucy: "RA"
Me: "N"
Lucy: "N"
Me: "D"
Lucy: "D"
Me: "PA"
Lucy: "PA"
And we will do that 5 times in a row before I say Okay say it all together
Me: "Grandpa"
Lucy: "Dampa"
I really torture my children because once they get to a certain age (3) if they want something they have to enunciate it properly to me before I give it to them. So if Lucy wants a cheese stick, in order for her to get one she has to replace her version of cheese stick (tleese ick) with saying the actual words "cheese stick". Sometimes it takes her a few minutes but to me it is worth it.
Kady has been going through what I call a talking transition phase. This is the phase where she is stuck with the dilemma of staying a baby and using baby talk or start using words that us bigger people can comprehend. She is now realizing that there are great benefits to using words that I can actually interpret clearly.
And so instead of getting so upset and throwing herself on the ground because I did not understand what "blaka, blaka, dooby, hawka loogie" meant she is starting to form real big people words. (The heavens are opening and you now hear angels singing soft tones of hallelujah ) Needless to say she has been throwing less tantrums and I do not feel like I am losing it as often.
On top of all that talking transition stuff she has been cutting about 8 teeth at the same time each one taking its grand ole time popping through and Kady is not to keen about that.
Then there are these 2 nut cases
This is usually where you will find Emma. I love it! She just said tonight that she has her spring break planned out. "I am going to read and then read some more, and then I will play for a little bit and then read some more!"
Sera loves to read too but she would much rather instigate some kind of reaction from those around her.
Today after school Emma had a play day. Emma brought a book along for the ride to go pick up her friend. Once her friend got in the car there were the usual hellos. But then Emma went right back to her book. I had my rear view mirror focused on the back seat so I could watch what would take place. Sera being the chatty kind started conversation with the friend. As all of this friendly conversation took place, Emma would occasionally take her nose out of the book and say with all the attitude of a 6 3/4 year old " SSSeeeraaa, she is mmmyyy play date not yourras!"
Then Emma would promptly stick her nose back in the book. Sera never disappointed with the look she would give which clearly stated "Well hello you are suppose to interact with guests not ignore them!"
On another note:
If any of you are critiquing for proper English skills please stop because I do not have any. If proper grammar is what you are looking for go somewhere else because you will not get it here. At least not for a long while. My main proof reader was just called to be the Bishop of our ward and so I am afraid what you get is the raw version of my lame attempts to post something good. I dream of being a good editor, but for now I am going to have to let go of perfection (as if it was present before) and just slap something down on the keypad once in a while.


3 comments:
Oh, Pam, don't ever change! You are great the way you are and that includes any grammar gone wrong. It happens to us all. Thanks for making me giggle.
YOu just described my "speech therapy" sessions with Isaac.
(ANd yes - Emma is AMAZING. And an exception.)
Pam - you are a crack up. I love you for that. Thanks for making me laugh.
Post a Comment