For me, this is a sacred time. It is the time where we can go anywhere or be anyone. I love looking at the girls faces as I read and make different voices for different characters. I love seeing their imaginations run wild as they try to put themselves in those "mystical" places. I love leaning forward and smelling Lucy's hair and then she will typically raise her cute little head up and I will kiss her forehead and then her eyes will light up as she gives a beaming smile. This time is sacred because I know that in a blink of an eye they will all be grown up and being all sorts of independent on their own.
It has taken me a few years to figure out the whole night time routine . In the beginning there was the first child. Let's just say I was a freak when it came to sleep and the child. I had her on a very rigid schedule. Nap time was not to be messed with, and if it was, you had to deal with me. It was not pretty.
With the second child, I was still rigid in the schedule, but was not as much of a freak. For the third child, I had learned that it is not the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it if a child does not get a nap or does not get to bed at precisely 7 o'clock p.m. I became a new person. I believe I started becoming someone that people wanted to actually hang around again. It only took me till the third child to figure this out, but it is better late than never.
I look forward when Kady can be a more active participant in our nighttime ritual. Now, she literally begs to go to bed no later than 6:30 p.m. Frankly, that is too early to gather the chicks around to start doing our story time. She will be ready by the end of spring, when she will get transplanted in the "big girl" room with her sisters before the new baby arrives.
When I was a child, my fondest memory of bedtime is my Father sitting outside of our bedroom in the hallway with his guitar and he would sing to us. He would sing songs he had made up or some of my favorites were Love Potion #9, Rainbow Connection, It only takes a spark.... His voice was so soothing to me. Those songs took me to "mystical" places. In a way it was his way of reading to us but in a different form.
"The most beautiful and the most profound emotion that we can experience is the sensation of the mystical." --Albert Einstein
What kind of rituals do you do with your children, or if you may not have any, what kind of good memories do you have of when you were a child?


6 comments:
I just want to say I am so glad you are my sister! hehe. I love you! I remember all of those songs from dad too. :-)
What is funny to me is that even at the daycare, with the little babies and one year olds I am with every day, I feel like they are my own now and I love it when we do something all together and they have that look on their face of "going to a mystical place". Something so simple as bubbles or blowing one of the hanging decorations so it moves without touching it ... I love their cute little reactions and how their faces say it all!
Thanks for the flashback:-) I forgot about love potion and rainbow connection! I would agree with the favorite time of day, it is mine too. I love that the girls know that it is OUR time to sit and talk and read. Those are things that I will miss most!
You are so wise to spend as much precious time reading with them as you can. It makes them so smart and the bonding time cannot be duplicated. Way to go momma!
What a sweet post! Davey has just recently become really interested in book reading a couple months ago, and I agree it is really nice time to spend with him. Especially when he sits on my lap (though it's getting difficult to do these days!!) since that time is so rare. And... CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!! I didn't know you were until I read Wendy's blog comments this morning. Yea! When are you due?
I love this post. It made me remember girls camp and your dad singing there. I miss those days. Life seemed so much more simple. Way to go by creating those moments for your girls.
Stopping by to wish you a blessed and very Merry Christmas! ♥ Hugs! :) Shauna
Post a Comment