Friday, December 19, 2008

Sneezing and other random thoughts

Have you ever noticed that when you are about to sneeze and someone says "Bless you" before you have done the sneeze that for some reason or another your sneeze has been scared away? I do not know what causes this phenomenon, but it really intrigues me.

I am also intrigued at how many days children have, as I call them, opposite days. These are days where they choose to do everything opposite to what you have asked them to do. Frankly I do not like opposite days. They really do make my head feel like it is ready to explode or that "TIHOE" will emerge. I have a couple of theories about this though.

The first being this: God has sent these children to us to help refine us and help us become like Him. By having "opposite days" it helps me to hone my abilities to be more patient and kind in very difficult situations. In essences, these days refine me. Despite the feelings of complete and utter frustration in these moments, I know with a surety that "tomorrow" will be better.

I hope that one day I will be able to respond to my children in the same kind loving ways He does for me. I have got a llllooooonnnnngggg road ahead, but it is a road worth traveling.


The last two weeks Lucy has been going through this interesting phase. First of all she learned the word "meanie" a while back and uses it quite frequently in the situations she is in. At an attempt to help her understand that it is important to speak kindly of others, I have been trying to reinforce when she says "meanie" to her sisters or others, that we need to remember to say nice words about others especially our family members. So she will promptly say "oooh shoorreeyy!"

The second part of this phase is that she has learned how to kick objects, so she had been testing her kicking skills on, well, us! So the first couple of times she kicked us she was sent to time out, which seemed to help her to stop kicking human beings. But now she will be walking around and will kick the air and then quickly say "oooh shoorreey!" I guess she is teaching herself self discipline or something.

I would venture to guess that we are all a little like Lucy. We have been taught a correct principle and then we mess up and say "oooh shoorreeyy!"

5 comments:

Jared said...

If only we could get a "Bless you!" on these "sorry" events before they happen...then maybe they wouldn't. ;)

Kaitlyn said...

haha. At least she says sorry! The kids I'm with at the daycare REFUSE to say "sorry"... or anything actually... And so I feel like I am REALLY talking to myself and going crazy...
"hey hey you, stop that. We don't hit, its not nice"... blank stare in response... "what do you need to say"... blank stare.... "SORRY is what we say"... blank stare.... "SSS-ORRRR-EEEEE" .... blank stare with drool.... so then I just give up at getting them to say sorry and go to do something else and they hit the same kid again! bah!!! drives me nuts! I am glad those particular children go home every day.

MotherToMany said...

Mine play parent. If one says a word they "think" is a "bad word" like say oh "you're crazy" the next thing I hear is "Mooooom! ___blank___ said a bad word!"

"Ok, what did they say?"

"I can't say it. It's a bad word!"

"Well what does it start with?"

"Um....'k'."

::me thinking very hard trying to figure out this one.::

"Well I think you are going to have to tell me what they said then, because I don't know what word you are talking about."

"I can't it was a bad word!"

::In comes older child with the story.::

"They call them 'crazy', mom."

"Did they call you 'crazy'?"

"Yes, and that's a bad word!"

"No it's not! Who told you it was a bad word?"

"I don't know."

"Well it's not a bad word. But stop fighting! You're making ME crazy!"

I swear they come up with new and unique ways TOO make me crazy!

That Girl said...

Wow. What a beautiful post, Pam! I love your perspective ... although I think I'm not very refined on my children's opposite days. I'm just burned alive.

Pam said...

You an me both Becky.