I have a serious problem. It has to do with when the children get sick. Instead of being the kind Mom that says, "Oh, I am soooo sorry you are not feeling well, here come here so I can make you feel better." No, I am more like, "psh, will you please stop coughing and sneezing on me?" and "Stay away from your sisters," and "I told you to keep your hands out of your mouth and eyes and nose when we are in public places and at school." I am a meanie, plain and simple, a meanie!
I was helping out in Sera's class a while back ago. I was all cheerful and just thinking how rewarding it would be to be a teacher when one of the kids I was working with sneezed without covering his mouth and nose and snot shot out of his orifices. I suddenly became a meanie. The kid just sat there for a moment with snot dripping off of him, then he attempted to clean it up with his hands and smears it everywhere and I am trying not to throw up from gagging while I say in a very stern voice, "Stop it, we don't clean up snot with our bare hands, put your hands in the air and go to the sink and wash them for 30 seconds with soap." He just stood there for a moment staring at me like I had just spoken a different language. He finally did go and do what I had asked him to do while I then got several antibacterial wipes and disinfected the whole surrounding area and the sink he had used. This experience quickly made me realize I would be a terrible teacher. I realized I am a very conditional person. As harsh as that sounds, it is true.
At church a couple of Sundays ago, a young man went to go grab Kady's hand and I said abruptly, "Don't touch her hands." He paused and then said, "May I ask why you don't want me to touch her hands?" I said, "Most certainly." I then proceeded to tell him that she likes to put her hands in her mouth and that he has been shaking a whole lot of other people's hands who might not have washed their hands recently and she could get sick and I hate having sick kids...yada yada yada! The poor kid got a lecture I don't think he was expecting. But really in my opinion it is rude to touch babies hands.
I really think it should be mandatory for everyone to take a Microbiology class sometime early in their youth. I learned all sorts of things that have contributed to my "personally diagnosed" OCD of germs. Yes, I recognize that germs are everywhere and it is inevitable that we get sick, but I also believe that we should teach our children proper hygiene and the difference between good and bad germs.
So going back to me being a meanie when my kids are sick. I hate it! I am just recently realizing that they don't get sick on purpose. I know I am a little slow. Good news is that I am a lot more compassionate than I used to be.
Actually, a great way to get your kids feeling better is to talk about enemas. I had a great friend in Scottsbluff who told me that when she was growing up and she or her siblings were sick, her parents would give them enemas. She said that if they ever said "Can I stay home from school, I don't feel very well?" her mom would say "Sure, I will get the enema ready and you will be healthy in no time" She said they would magically feel better.
So I tried this method this week. Sera had not been feeling well. After the second day, I told her that if she was not feeling better the next day then she would be getting an enema. Emma's eyes lit up, as she had experienced one recently. She quickly said "Oh Sera, you definitely do not want one of those" Where Sera said "I feel better already Mom, will I have to have a enemy?" I said " I don't know it all depends on how you feel tomorrow." Sera said "But I am not sick anymore and I don't want an enemy."
I am convinced that, for the remainder of the night, Sera talked whatever illness she had out of her because in the morning, she was sounding great and was back to herself again. No enemies for Sera. I guess the trick for older kids is to scare the sickness out of them. And talk of enemas will do that. Meanie? Yup!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
You are so funny. I am pretty worried about germs too. At Christmastime my kids had pink eye, Strep, Pneumonia and some stomach virus. It was horrible. I'm pretty sure that the enema thing wouldn't have gotten rid of the illnesses. (Of course they have never had enemas so the threat wouldn't be too scary.) I hope it wasn't Jackson that was the snot boy. Maybe you should be a teacher at an all girls school, they are much less yucky than boys :0)
Ironically kids who go to day care tend to have a better immune system than those who are sheltered from germs.
Getting minor germs actually helps us to build up a healthy immune system because once our bodies have fought off those easy germs they never get them again, but they also are stronger for fighting off the bigger germs.
I am not a germaphobic. But I do avoid germy places like mall play areas and sometimes even church. Even in the nursery when the signs and the official policy was to NOT have kids stay if they had runny noses or coughs, parents still dropped them off. I remember one time a poor kid has a fever and was miserable and Joe and I were cleaning up the snot as the child just coughed away and sat with either of us.
It is the responsibility of a parent ot make sure to not spread germs and if that means not going to church or missing a meeting or outing then it's a sacrafic one should make.
We just got over some puking bug. The babies got it the worst but thankfully only 4 of the 7 got it. All we did was go to the Chiropractor and the kids played with the toys. The next day they were puking. They hadn't been out since Christmas but that's all it took.
I did however discover Cinnamon oil. It's 1000x stronger than an antibiotic. When I remember we give the kids one drop in a cup of milk to keep them healthier and they don't get sick as often. In fact I can't remember the last time they were sick. Once in a while one will get a bug and just chill on the couch but that's about it.
I'm glad they are all feeling better and i hope your construction gets finished before the baby arrives.
Pamela Louise, I must be a meanie too, because I was laugh so hard picturing you in that situation at school, that I think I peed my pants:-)
Sorry Steph, I would have to disagree with you on the day care kids have stronger immune systems. Those kids are ALWAYS sick, which in my opinion does not equal "stronger immune systems". Ask Kait, she works at one and can testify it is just a big germ pool of snot and trading sicknesses. It can be tough on a little body to be sick over and over again.Thanks though for the cinnamon oil reference. I think I might start using that:-)
Okay, SNORTED my way through that one. Pure awesomeness.
ENEMAS! HA!
I generally don't mind when my kids are sick ... as long as they're cuddly ...
Wendy, I have links of study to prove my stance. Yes they get sick more often but they in turn have a stronger immune system. Some research suggests that at least 3 months of child care strengthens the immune system enough to possibly ward off Childhood Lukiemia
http://www.workitmom.com/news/detail/3332
NY Times Article http://tinyurl.com/986z3s
So again being sick is a good thing not a bad thing. It builds up imunities for later in life. The more colds a child gets (beacuse each strand of a cold is different from the previous one) the more immunities a child builds up. You can never get the same cold strain virus twice. Much like Chicken Pox and how once you have it you shouldn't get it again, you become immune.
Oh my Pam. You have me laughing so hard that the person in the cubicle next to me is laughing at me. Sorry your kids are sick. Doesn't sound very fun at all but the enema story is hilarious.
Oh, the snot comment almost did me in! I don't do bodily fluids or solids. My husband swears I only married him so I'd have someone to clean up the puke and diarhhea. He may be on to something...
I had to quit working in our church nursery. I absolutely nearly puked on kids if I had to change their diapers. And forget it if the kids was only partially potty trained and pooped in their pants. Ick, ick, ick. My kids' underwear got tossed in the garbage bag.
Post a Comment