This is one of my favorite words. People have asked how I am able to do all that I do. It is easy, I make everything simple for me. How do I make everything simple you ask? I get rid of "stuff" we really do not need. Even easier we try not to buy "stuff" we really do not need.
I think I was born this way though. Growing up sharing a room with my sister I would easily get irritated with her stuff just scattered all over the place. I literally took tape and divided the room, her side and my side.
When it comes to meal planning, I have a little file box that holds 3x5 index cards. On the cards I have written the different types of meals, with ingredients on the back, that are a success and I know our family will eat. So when I go and do my menu planning for the month I pull out the file box and waa-la I am done within 15 minutes. Simple for me.
Some tips I have for those who may be struggling with getting their children to eat what you have prepared.
Have your children help with menu planning.
For a family night have each child write down at least one meal they would like to have. Have a goal for them "We need 10 recipes for our family dinners" It is helpful to have some cookbooks out so they can look through them. Younger children know when they see something they like. I have asked Grandparents to get our girls kid cookbooks for presents and the girls have loved looking through them and telling me what they want to make.
You can then decide if you have any patience left by the time the meal needs to be prepared and if so, then you can have them help prepare the meal. It has been my experience that children are more likely to eat food they help prepare. This does not guarantee they will eat it, but more like a warranty with a lot of fine print.
Also I have learned to reduce the portion sizes I dish out to the kids. I got the divided into 3 section kid plates from Wal-mart. I believe they were .97 cents. They are in the baby section. I use them myself on occasion This gives me a better idea what a proper portion is, especially for younger children.
Menu ideas
-Nacho bar/tacos
-potato bar
-Alfredo noodles
-spaghetti
-lasagna
-Chicken curry
-potato bar
-Pancakes, french toast, big puffy pancake(German pancake) Eggs
-Pizza
-Chicken pea casserole (this is our girls all time favorite)
-Grilled chicken
-Sloppy joes
-sheppards pie
-Parmesan chicken
-Jambalaya
-pigs in a blanket or butterfly hot dogs You take the crescent rolls and roll the hot dog up. Or get the biscuits and cut them in half and then make an egg wash with food coloring and a little water and have the kids paint the butterfly wings. Make the hot dog the body. Bake as directed on the package. We I first did this was 6 months ago and thought to record it.
This is a fraction of my file. If you want any recipes let me know.
I tend to have meals that take 30 minutes or less to put together. Then I let the oven or crock-pot do the rest. Also meals especially during the week, that I can work on earlier in the day when I have more time. The younger ones enjoy pouring things into the bowl for me.
Here is an example of how easy my recipes are
Sloppy Jo's
How ever much ground hamburger you will need to feed your crew
Ketchup
Mustard
Hamburger buns or hot dog buns
Brown your hamburger. Drain and rinse if needed. Return to stove. Just squirt how much ketchup and mustard to make sloppy looking. Heat through. within 10 minutes done. Serve with fruit, hot veggi like corn and maybe some steamed potato wedges you cooked in the microwave. Our girls love this!
The key really is to find out what your kids want to eat. For instance. My one friend wrote......."We're down to spaghetti and meatballs and mac and cheese at my house. ug. Tacos on a good day, but really they just eat the cheese. Anything else is greeted with sneers and gagging noises."
You know they may not have variety but at least she knows they like Spaghetti and meatballs and mac and cheese. I say to this, that is why we give kids a multi vitamin to compensate for what they may be missing.
I feel that there are waves our children go through. Almost like a feast or famine mentality. There are some weeks where it seems they can not get enough to eat and whatever is placed before them they devour. And then there are weeks where I make the exact same meals and I think, "Gee I wonder if I am going to start seeing their ribs poking out of their bodies soon!"
After I realize they are going through the famine phase I make sure to not make a lot of food because I know it will get wasted.
I know for sure that they will eat whatever fruit and veggies I put out, so remember to have a good lay out of fruits and veggies. And ones you know they like. Canned mandarin oranges are a favorite here and the baby carrots.
These are just a few ways that have helped me to simplify my life with a young family.
If all else fails you can always resort to a meal of chocolate. You will find within the video that the side effects are minimal.
p.s a little secret on how to add more nutrients to your food. I food processor a variety of veggies, and then add them to my sauces and soups. It adds a lot of superb flavor and added nutrients without the little people knowing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Great ideas! I'm more of a "Oh no! What are we gonna eat tonight" type of person and it's not a good thing!!!
Gotta do a file like you have!!!
Hilarious to hear sera in the background saying, "Do you think we will get sick from eating all this chocolate, or have a lot of diarrhea" ;_)
I am a simplify person as well. In fact, that is what I need to be doing today. . .
Thanks for all the meal ideas!
Instead of the plate divided into three sections, I just use three plates every night for myself. I feel that I can really get a good mound that way.
Chocolate for dinner? I haven't done that but we have had ice cream for dinner. yum yum
I loved this post. So helpful and I'm sure I will be frequenting your blog =). You're amazing. Let me know if you'd like an invite to my blog (don't feel obligated)...not very insightful, just lots of cute pics of Tayson =).
Post a Comment