Early Memories- Part 2
We moved to a home in Troy Michigan when I was about 3. The yard that came with the home was about an acre. Our yard growing up is the center of many of my early recollections.
I do not have many memories of playing inside as a child. Most of our time was spent outside. We had a "forest" for a back yard. We had a large weeping willow tree in the front that I loved grabbing the branches of and swinging from.
We had a few pear trees and a couple crab apple trees that beckoned to us to climb. Which we delightfully obeyed . Those trees had a variety of unique caterpillars.
One of my most favorite trees was a magnolia tree. It sat right in front of my parents bedroom bay window. I loved climbing this tree and then hanging upside down on the one long sideways branch. I especially loved the soft velvety buds that were the precursor to the beautiful big pink and white fragrant flowers that came every spring. This tree also allowed my siblings and me to gain easy access to the roof. Our home was a ranch so it was not very far from the ground.
We also had a weird cabin type of shed. Very old and a distinct cabinny smell. I would have these imaginations that this cabin shed used to be occupied by an old looking man. Crouched over, bald, longer nose, had to use a cane, and grouchy, extremely grouchy. I was afraid of this cabin shed for a long time, mostly because of what my imagination came up with.
One day I felt like I needed to confront my fear and decided to give the place a good clean. My siblings and I came up with a plan and we got to work. Oh how I was terrified! But I talked myself through it! I felt proud that we did it! I found many treasures while cleaning the place up. Both tangible and figuratively.
Right behind the place was a wild strawberry patch. It grew some very tasty strawberries.
One year an unfamiliar elderly lady came to our home. I was back in the garden area, and had seen this lady come up from the front to the backyard and talked with my Mom for a moment and then they came back with my Mom. In my little kid eyes I thought this lady looked scary, until Mom introduced her saying something like, this is Ms. Stamps, she used to live here and she always has enjoyed the strawberries and would like to pick some. For some reason this changed the way I looked at her, and she suddenly was beautiful. She had one of those large brimmed garden hats on, and she had brought a basket and her gloves. She told stories of the home, but I do not remember any of the details, just that I know she told stories. She came a couple years in a row before she passed away.
My twin sister and I loved it in the winter time. We would played Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. We built snow forts, we would go on adventures to find stuff. We would build snowmen, or just lay in the snow and look up in the sky. Pure joy! I really liked when we would get a lot of snow because that meant the long row of towering shrubbery that was between the driveway and grape vines fell over into a make shift tunnel.
One year we had gotten a ton of rain. So much that a part of the backyard had flooded. We had this blow up type of inner tube and we used them as boats and then used sticks for the ores. We moved slowly around the huge pine tree in the back. weaving in and out around the other trees. Pure magic I tell ya!
To be continued......................
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Hi! I came across your site and wanted to thank you for putting our Power of Moms link on there. You are doing such a good job with your five little children! I would like to "formally" invite you to submit to our "Systems to Keep You Sane" section on our Empowering Essays. You have a lot of really good ideas, and you are clearly applying them to real-life situations. Take care and good luck with all you are doing. We hope to hear from you in the future.
-April Perry (www.powerofmoms.com)
You have such a vivid memory from when you were a child. I should tell more stories from that time of my life. Your kids will like hearing these.
Wow, an inner tube in the back yard sounds like pure joy! What I remember about your house is those BBQ's your dad used to throw, I think it was on Memorial Day. Those were great :)
Denise, at the end of story time(with books) I do what we call "cuddle time" where I tell a story from my child hood. The girls absolutely love them! When I first started this a few years back I thought the girls would not have remembered the details of the stories because they were quite squirmy and seemed to not be paying attention at the time, but I knew that was not the case when one of my parents came to visit and the girls started asking "do you remember when......" questions with great detail. In my opinion it is never to early to start re-telling life experiences to your children.
Post a Comment