I am thankful for good strangers. Kady is our 4th child and is the child who has the most magical powers. She is a mini Houdini(Kadini). I'm sure of it!
When we were vacationing in Arizona at Christmas time, we stayed with my sister Wendy and her family. They live in a nice neighborhood with friendly neighbors.
One day we were out playing at the nearby park. My Brother-in-law Jonathan was playing soccer with some of the kids, while I was visiting with one of their friendly neighbors, who happens to be one of my sisters friend.
A couple of the kids wanted to jump on her trampoline so we hoisted some of the smaller ones over her fence. The older children walked around to the front. Kadini invisibly walked around the corner. I had not noticed that she had noticed her sisters leaving and wanted to follow.
This friends home is located at the corner of the street and so there tends to be a little more traffic.
It had not been more than 2 minutes from the older children going around, when the next thing I know a very concerned good stranger brings kadini up the sidewalk and asks if this child belonged to any of us, because she was wandering in the street and that they had almost hit her.
I've never been physically punched in the stomach, but the gut wrenching feeling I had at that moment is one I will never forget. This, mixed with frustration at myself that I hadn't noticed, joy that she had not been hit, utter humiliation, and the overwhelming feelings of gratitude to God for these very kind and good strangers, was a too much for me.
The kind stranger lady could have easily yelled her head off at me for my mistake at not being so attentive to Kadini, but she simply said "I am just so glad we didn't hit her!" I thanked her profusely and apologized for my negligence. The outcome could have been catastrophic had they not seen her. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick.
Kady is only 2, so getting upset and lecturing her on the importance of not walking in the street would have been wasted energy and breath. I simply brought her close to me and gave her an extra big hug. I told her I loved her and that we stay close to Mommy and Daddy so we can stay safe, and that I would do better at making sure I stayed close to her.
Whatever you believe in this life, I feel that we all feel at some point in our lives that there is a greater power out there. However you call that power is up to you. For me personally, I know that it is God our Heavenly Father.
He wants us to be safe. He will not force that on us though. He allows us to make choices and if they are not the best ones, He has lovingly provided a way for us to make it right so we can be close to Him. That way is through Our Savior Jesus Christ and His Atoning sacrifice for our sins. I am personally thankful for this great gift and the powerful effects it has on my life.
What we choose does not disqualify us from Gods love for us. No matter what He will always love us. Especially when we mess up. The kind stranger lady is evidence enough for me.


2 comments:
That made me a little misty-eyed.
p.s. there is NO WAY Kady is already two! What?? Sure miss you and your family. Come visit?
Oh the horror. Been there. I don't think there exists a mom who hasn't.
It's embarrassing and scary and makes you realize in a very concrete way how much you love your kids!
Glad she's fine!
Post a Comment