Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Watch your mouth

I noticed recently that Sera had been using the term "What the" all the time. So I asked her where she learned this from. She said, "I don't know."
After thinking about where she possibly could have gotten this term from, I realized something...
I am always editing myself!
History lesson. In 6th grade I made a pack with myself to not swear ever again, and I did pretty good for the most part, until I had children.
Let me correct myself, I started swearing in my head once I started having children. That is different to me.
There is something that is evoked in me that goes to this place of foul language when it comes to helping my children do what they are suppose to do.
So I found myself saying a lot of "what the .....pause ... are you doing?"(hence where Sera got the term), "Get your .... pause... shoes on!" You get the point.
My husband says "Pam you might as well say it there is no difference."
I am sure he is right.
Nonetheless I can not bring myself to saying the "obscenities" out loud.

I would say about a month ago, I decided that I needed to say something to help ease the dramatic pauses in my sentences to my children. So I determined that "doggone" was an appropriate alternate to the pauses. "Get you doggone shoes on", "How many doggone times..!" "What the doggone are you doing?"
I have found that the swearing in my head has been subdued in a way.

For me this is as good as it gets,(at least for now) and I am sticking to it! I feel I have found a very happy medium! I mean really, have you ever tried this parenting thing out? It is not easy!

Unfortunately for me, Sera has not stopped using the term mentioned previously completely. I am sure eventually it will wear off, and when it does you will start hearing her use the term "doggone.....!"

4 comments:

MotherToMany said...

Kids pick up a lot when you aren't paying attention. LOL

Denise said...

Jackson used to say, "What the ha?" when he was about three. I have no idea where he got it, but he grew out of it. It is amazing what they pick up. At least she isn't using that ha or worse :)

Sweating in the endless heat said...

I am proud of you for not using obscenities, cause as you recall the damn-ed moment with Megan:) I haven't gotten the dog-gone thing down yet, but am still trying since you first told me about your secret!!! Keep up the good work!

That Girl said...

Love it. ALthough I disagree with Jared - I think it DOES make a difference. BIG difference between thinking and doing.

I love it when Nathan says, "Just what do you think you are doing, mister?"

Yes, I say that.