Last week was full of readjusting to each other. I also took the opportunity to implement the insight I received while I was on my vacation. This included that the girls needed to get their "lids" done before they came downstairs before breakfast.
Their lids are a concept I tweaked from another idea someone had that helps children supposedly learn how to be responsible. I took a 2x6 board and then had a friend paint them and put each child's name on them. I then collected lids from syrup bottles, diaper creams, ketchup, shampoos, and lotions. I then wrote the various responsibilities(make bed, brush teeth, get dressed, etc.) each child has both morning and night, and then screwed the lids on the 2x6's.
Before we left on our vacation the kids seemed to be very relaxed in their efforts to get their lids done with out much reminding, i.e What lids do you have left?
The kids really like playing computer games and so my new rule I started implementing last week was they were allowed to play computer games so long as I did not have to remind them in the morning about their lids. Sounds simple right? Wrong! Lets just say I believe that there was only one day that they were able to play computer games.
At bed time, one of the nights last week, Emma stated that she didn't like the new rules that were being enforced and thought that they were unfair.
I told her that she is more than welcome to feel this way but that one day she would thank me for helping her understand that having good time management skills and to to be responsible are essential skills to have in this life to be great at whatever you do.
I added that everything has rules even if they are not called rules.
She quickly replied, "But walls don't have rules!"
I said "how so?"
She told me that "nobody told walls what to do!"
I said "Well if you do not put a wall up the way the rules are then your wall will not be safe, so indeed walls do have rules!"
She seemed stumped, but added her last 2 cents worth to make sure I understood her dissatisfaction in my new plot to ruin her life.
"Well I still don't like our new rules!"
Here are some pictures from our bathroom demo that clearly demonstrates that walls have rules. Not that I need to convince any of you that they do.
Rule #1- It is not wise to put layers and layers of tacky wallpaper over each other. Consequence-Subsequent owners of such walls in the past found it necessary to just put another layer of drywall over such walls of tacky wallpaper
Rule #2- DO NOT stick another layer of drywall over existing original walls to cover tacky wallpaper as this will cause condensation between said walls and make walls unfit to have in a home with children or any other living creature.
Rule #3- DO Not stick up tacky wallpaper ever!


5 comments:
We're starting on our renovations with our bathroom soon. Looking at your fun you're having, we can't wait for the demolition to start!!!!
Seriously - what are people thinking when they put up wall paper. Sounds like you and Wendy had a fun time. You both are so cute and pregnant. Yeah.
Rule #3 - we could probably vastly improve the whole world if everyone could just follow rule #3!
Wow! Looks like your wall demo was quite a job! You guys are awesome for tackling such big jobs with all of your business! I was thinking about simply painting Davey's room the other day and wondering if we'd ever get around to it...
I hate how those walls think that they can do whatever they want without any consequences, and all the time with that smug little look on their face
Post a Comment