Said the cashier to me the other day at the grocery store. I am not sure why strangers have a need to always use this term with me when they find out that all of the little people with me are all mine(which in my opinion is not that many) and that there are more that are not present and a soon coming attraction in June.
I am just wondering how many kids constitutes for no reply from strangers? 1 or 2?
And I am trying to figure out what is so brave about having children. Is it the fact that for a living I get to (here comes a long list in no particular order):
Be a psychiatrist (I get to listen to people whine to me all day about their woes, and then they think that I should solve them),
Be a teacher (with 1 vacation a year),
Be a referee (only when things get bloody),
Be a seamstress (only for buttons, curtains, and small rips in clothing),
Be a cook (not a cook to order one either. "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"),
Be a professional grocery shopper (because when you are brave enough to have kids you have to be),
Be an organizer (so that my life can be somewhat controlled),
Be a financial adviser ("I think investing your money in gum is not a wise decision!"
Be a sanitation specialist (Bum and nose wiper, clean throw up up, a dozen eggs clean up, and any thing else you can think of that is disgusting)
Be a cleaner (The kids are getting old enough now that they are doing more. Like cleaning the floor with their mouths)
Be a secretary (this includes constant reminders of responsibilities, and sorting through mail, and making sure everyone's needs are being met)
Be an entertainer (Finding the right games to play that are both educational but can keep attention spans of fly on task)
Be a doctor (This means telling them that everything is going to be fine, but if they want to keep on crying we could cut off the other appendage and then their original hurt would not hurt any more. Or just tell them they will certainly need an enema. I found these methods to stop any efforts for them to become a hypochondria)
Be a history consultant (telling stories of my childhood or of when they were little)
Be a cosmetologist (cutting hair and trimming nails and the occasional up-do)
Be a foreign language interpreter (explaining to others what was just said or trying to figure out myself what was just said)
Be a Special event coordinator (What family would be complete without one of these?)
Be a talent scout (here I am teaching Kady how to whistle)
These are just of few of the things we Mothers get to do for a living.
I think the next time a stranger tells me that I am brave I will simply say,
"I AM a Domestic Goddess!" and then demand that they bow in my presence :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I found you on MMB and I think, I just think that we may have something in common. I have 4 kids too. The prevelant comment in my life however is: "wow, you have your hands full, don't you?"
Wow, we do get to do a lot of fun things, huh? I think the bravery comes in play because you are all of these things 24 hours a day with very few brakes. I'd take it as a complement!
You know what's funny. I don't even have kids, but I call my job an adoptive mother, and the parents OF those kids tell us how they think we are crazy for wanting to work there and take care of their kids for them... weird! I guess some people just refuse to dig into their inner-parent and think its a miracle that some of us "got it". haha.
While I'm not saying that you're not brave Pam, I think the medals for bravery have to go to your daughters on this one. Those look like some pretty vicious bombs that they're so deftly sucking up with their mouths.
Way to go you BRAVE woman:-) I love, that now, I know all the things that I am! I agree with wilken above that we should all take it as a compliment, or just to poor to pay someone else to watch them.....right? :-) J/K
I think it is 4. I didn't get the comments with two but as soon as 3&4 were born I gained saint-hood, badges of honor, dumbarce comments, and offers for help.
Post a Comment