Luckily "this to shall come to pass" and all is well. After I wrote sorry notes to our children for my grouchy demeanor and vented last night to my husband how sick I was of everything and nothing, I feel much better. I probably owe my husband $50 for listening to me complain last night and being a silent therapist. But then again he helped create what we have so maybe he owes me $50.
It made me think this morning though. Is the phrase "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" really true? It seems to be in our home. I pondered about how such a simple little choice to smile at my kids, instead of having a scowling look on my face really lightened the mood in our home this morning. Who would have thunk.
I also wonder if my Great-Great Grandma ever had days where she just got sick of everything and wanted to just go on vacation to a warm tropical island.
I wonder if she got sick of the fact that she had to go outside to an outhouse to go to the bathroom or if at the end of the day she ever looked at her full sink of dishes because she spent all day tending to others needs, and thought, "I am so sick of doing dishes can't anyone rescue me from doing this just for one time. I just want a break!"
Or the fact that when she had babies she got to rinse the poo and pee out of cloth diapers and clean them by hand just so they could get peed and pooped in all over again. That would most definitely drive me over the cliff.
I just wonder though how did she get through a bad day, and if she felt the same as I do after one of those bad days how it makes me appreciate the good days so much more. It can be so much easier for me to keep on going down in a hole of a dark abyss, but that is not in my nature.
Thankfully for my family and my own sake I am able to pull myself out of the hole quickly and stop complaining and do what needs to get done and feel good about the hard work I do day in and day out.
And those days where the monotony of it all gets to be too much I simply remind myself that the sun will indeed come out tomorrow and I let myself sulk for that moment in time and then tell myself "That is enough! Get back to work! This is but a small season and you really will miss it when the season has passed." I imagine that is what my Great- Great Grandma would have done.


4 comments:
Awww! Sorry you've had some bad days. Wish I was your neighbor. I'd love bring over some treats and sit and chat, just relax. That always helps me. :)
I'm sure every woman of every time period has times when she is tired of work and stress and just wants to be able to sit and be served. I'm sure that your children will one day read the things you've posted on your blog and say, "Wow! Mom had hard days too?" And that will make them feel normal and okay.
I'm pretty sure everyone on this planet has gone through bad days. And yes, I know what you mean. I'm grateful for them. When they are long gone.
I am the first to admit that I am a wimp and quite certain I wouldn't have been able to cut it during my great-grandmother's era. Good thing I was born during this time, with air conditioning, a husband with sick leave and vacation, and a car.
PS You are a superstar of a mother.
I don't think your great grandmother even thought going to a tropical island was an option...
It stinks to have bad days. Mine seem to be all full of working too hard and not getting enough sleep. It is worth it, in the end, if I can not be grumpy. Even though I might feel hideous, I can TRY to be pleasant. That is what I want my kids to do, so I should do it myself, although I don't always succeed.
I hope you feel better soon.
Post a Comment