I am not talking about arts and craft. I am talking about how our children seem to have a knack for being able to come up with the 3rd option. At least in our home we have a nice group of deep thinkers who seem to spend all of their spare time creating plans of what their third options can be. This may be helpful for them in the future when they are asked in some important meeting to come up with several ideas in a brainstorming session. Not so much when I give 2 options for our children to choose from. For example, sometimes when it is dessert time this can often be heard in our home, especially by the younger children:
Parent:Your choice for dessert is mint chocolate chip ice cream or cookies and cream ice cream
child: How about strawberry ice cream?
Parent: What did you just hear me say?
Child: My choice is mint chocolate chip or cookies and cream
Parent: Okay so which do you choose?
Child: Strawberry
Parent: We don't have strawberry. mint chocolate chip or cookies and cream?
Child: How about a brownie?
Parent: Ooh I like mint chocolate chip ice cream too! Great choice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I wish I could post me laughing out loud. I love your kids! And I love your responses to your kids! Oh my, I aspire to be like you as a mother.
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relate to this. You read these parenting books about giving your children 2 choices...and how it solves EVERYTHING. Uh.... that is nice for the OH-so-simple-minded-children. Unfortunately, mine don't fall for that.
I say only give one option and avoid the whole mess!
Yup! That's my life too! I know that it helps us grow to when we continually deal with these small frustrations. They are important, to learn how to help our children communicate and be responsible and understand how life works. But somedays I want a reprieve from the negotiations. I want one day, just one, where they simply go along with me.
Lately Tayson has started giving US choices -- usually when he is really frustrated/upset about something and is trying to get his way. It's pretty funny but I'm not sure how to deal with it!
Post a Comment