Sunday, May 16, 2010

Engagement and wedding celebrations


Jared and I dated for about 18 months before we got married. He lived in Buffalo New York most of that time. The company he was working for at the time flew him back to Salt Lake every other weekend. SO we got to spend time 2 weekends a month.

On Sundays we would go and have meals with his family. I typically got to drive him back to the airport. It was hard for me to not cry. Those 18 months were a wonderful growing time for us. We had built a firm solid foundation of friendship
by that point. We knew we were going to get married some day, and once we realized it was the right time we got married 6 weeks later.

Jared proposed to me through a video he had sent to his parents with the ring. When it was time to ask the question he had me stop the video and call him. Not conventional by any means. But it suited us.

Jared's Mom and myself pretty much planned everything. Both Jared and I are extremely practical people so there was nothing extravagant about our wedding plans.

I found a great deal at a bulk card stock supplier and got 500 card stock invites and envelopes for something like $30. I then found a printer shop, that when I brought my format and information I wanted on the invites, I negotiated a price and he printed 500 for something like $40. This was a great deal as all the other places were more like in the $100's. The thing that sold me was this particular printer was willing to not do a fancy print on it. I just wanted a basic color and no embossing stuff. My thinking was why waste money on something that most people will throw away anyway. I thought the finished product was tastefully done and looked fabulous.

We had a beautiful quote at the top of the invite "Absents is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great." Comte de Bussy-Rabutin

Jared's Father took our lovely engagement pictures and we got those printed off for fairly cheap as well. The stamps were the most expensive thing about our invites. Gotta love postage!

I borrowed a wedding dressed that fit me just right from my future sister-in-laws sister. I loved it too!

We had an outside reception the night before our wedding ceremony, at Jared's Grandma and Grandpas, "Better Homes and Gardens backyard." We had these cute little tea candle tree lights all over in the trees. It looked like fire flies were in the trees at night. The weather was perfect.

Because our reception was more like an open house we served pie and ice cream, which was perfect for the fall setting. We got an excellent deal on the pies too. How can you beat .99 cents a pie. They were not gross pies either, very yummy.

I am sure there are some who are reading who may think, "How could they do things so chintzy? You only get married once!" I say to you, getting married does not mean you have the privileged of going in debt. Whether it is you who is paying for the wedding or someone else. But that is just my opinion. You can disagree.


I stayed at Jared's Grandmas that night. I slept(tried to) on a water bed. I don't recommend that. Too many things raced through my head that night. One of which was that I was extremely uncomfortable in that bed and how I wish I could fall asleep. My parents slept at Jared's aunt and uncle's home. Looking back I am not sure why I was left all alone the night before I got married. At least if I would have had someone to talk with beside myself that night my lack of sleep would have felt valid.

Wedding day morning, I got up and showered, had a small bowl of cereal and then my Mom came to pick me up to take me to the Jordan River Temple, where Jared and I would be sealed for Time and All Eternity later that day. We stopped for a quick bite to eat before heading to the Temple.

We got to the Temple and Jared was there waiting for me. I felt so happy. We walked in as 2 and walked out being sealed together as 1. It was a wonderfully sacred and exquisite experience. The best choice I have ever made. After the ceremony we took pictures outside with family and friends at the Temple grounds.

We then went to a church building and had a celebration luncheon. Which included pizza and party hats and ice cream sandwiches. If you haven't figured out yet we apparently are not fancy people. Very simple and practical. Oh, and FUN!

Even though we had 6 weeks to plan, I don't recall being stressed at all in the planning process. I had a clear vision, and budget.

About 2 weeks after we got married we had an open house in Buffalo. It was a small setting, but many came to congratulate us. We served homemade brownie sundaes. YUM!

The following weekend we had a more formal reception in Michigan where I am from. My Dad did a wonderful soup buffet. It was fall time. I believe he had a spread of delicious sandwiches and some fruit platters and cheese and crackers. Our wedding cake was to die for. A chocolate chiffon cake with white chocolate mousse and white chocolate shavings. That's what I'm talking about.

One thing I do want to know. Who ever started wedding lines? They are agonizing for me. I think mostly because I am not good at all with small talk. Which is pretty much what you have to do when you are in those wedding lines. Is there some kind of college class you can take on how to make you an equipped small talk person? Or is this something that is either in your DNA or not?

5 comments:

Nola said...

We didn't do a wedding line and I believe we were able to mingle with everyone much more adequately! I totally did the practical wedding too! I almost didn't have a reception because I was not going to spend much money on getting married. Luckily in the moment we were trying to decide, Grandpa Jo called and saved the day.

Adrienne said...

I was forced by my dad to do a wedding line. I think they are lame, and I am great at small talk so don't worry, they are lame no matter what. Good job on the budget! I too made our own invites, wedding cake, dad took engagement photos and we developted them at Costco. You and Jared still look exactly the same! Unbelievable. Your cake sounds very yummy. I wish I'd been invited. ;)

taradon said...

We did the budget wedding, too! I'm always astonished at people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on a wedding. I believe ours came to just under $1000 total (with around 300 guests at the reception!) and I'm pretty proud of that!

Rachel Sue said...

I love it when I hear about weddings like yours. Cheap, yes, but oh so fun! Ice cream sandwiches! Gotta love that.

Denise said...

We got engaged and married in 6 weeks too! I love this story and how you did things. I think it is silly to go into debt before you even get married too. I have to disagree with one thing, though. I LOVED the wedding line at my wedding. I was dreading it because I had stood in many as a bridesmaid. So, I didn't make my bridesmaids stand in mine - just us and the parents. I guess I loved it because I loved greeting all of the people I love most and meeting my husbands fav's too. It was, surprisingly to me, one of the best parts of our wedding.