Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not I have failed in deed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.
There are chances for work all around just now, opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try," But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.
Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love.
LDS Hymn#223
This song has been constantly running through my head for a couple of weeks. I pretty sure my children are starting to get sick of me singing this song in an opera voice. ( I just pretend I can sing opera)
But really, is there any better way to realize what joy there is in this life, even when life around us can seem troubling and overwhelming, than to get outside of ourselves and reach out to those who are in need of help?
For me service is like
water is to a plant or
food is to our bodies or
laughter is to the soul
It is necessary thrive!
There are many components to finding and having joy in our lives. I feel that service is one of the main components to that joy. Without it we will be more apt to finding the negative in everything and everyone.
If you are struggling daily or several days a week go out and do some meaningful good. I can guarantee as you open your eyes and look beyond your own trials and circumstances and serve, you will feel better! At least in my own life I have found this to be true.
This is a message from our Prophet President Thomas S. Monson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I have been hearing this message from multiple directions the past couple of days.
Another witness. I need to go make a phone call.
(thanks)
Hey Pam, Reed says not to post our address on a blog but if you send me your email I will solve the mystery of where we are. How are you guys doing?
Carissa
Thanks, Pam. Now I know why you always seem so happy!
Post a Comment