Today was no exception when I attended a muffin breakfast for the Mothers of first graders. Sera clung to me and was showering me with tons of hugs(full fledged squeezes) and kisses. I told myself repeatedly not to start bawling, because I didn't want to scare the children. But I felt so loved and filled with joy again for that of being a Mother.
Back to a couple years ago. A mother of one of the children at Emma's table started talking with me. Asking how many children I had. I told her 4. She gasped slightly and responded with a " I only have 2, that is all I can handle"
I responded with a "Oh, I am glad you know what you can handle." She inquired if we were done having children and I responded with a, no we are not done having children.
She then inquired about my friend who she knew from the school. She happened to have 6 kids at the time. She asked if I knew if they were going to have anymore children. I politely told her I didn't know and that it really was none of my business.
She then proceeded to tell me that her and her husband went for Quality NOT quantity. I quickly replied with a "Oh, I go for quality too." Where upon, she realized what she had just said and started to profusely apologize. I assured her I was not at all offended and that I understood what she was trying to say.
I really could have been easily offended by her comments and even the discussion itself. But I chose not to, for the shear fact that I was blessed with an abundant amounts of self-confidence.
Some women are great at cleaning and making their gardens look superbly beautiful. Others their homes look like something plucked out of Better Homes and Gardens.
My gift is, I know who I am and what my purpose here is on earth and I don't give into the seemingly constant stream of messages that stay-at-home Mothers are "Just Mothers"
Yes, true, I do have days where I feel like my job is a waste of time, and that all of my efforts are in vain, but in the big picture it is only a moment of time that I allow myself to feel that way because my desire to hear My Father's voice is greater than that of the worlds. He knows me. He knows what my potential is. He is forgiving when I mess up and encourages me to do better, and provides a way for me to accomplish that.
It is a honor to be a Mother. I am excited for November when our 6th child will make her/his(?) debut into the world.


22 comments:
OH, HOW EXCITING! I'm so glad to hear! I'll let Nate know right away, he'll be thrilled to hear too!
In case you're still looking for it, I responded to that comment on the same thread with a recipe of sorts for those crazy cookies. :)
YOU ROCK! I am SEVERELY JEALOUS, actually. We played russian roulette after our last baby ever since the 6 week mark....and have been TRYING for 8 months. This is BY FAR our longest gap....like by a year. We found out a few days ago that we are expecting #5. We are THRILLED. Now, an HONEST question. HOW do you get prego so soon? I don't start my period until after I have COMPLETELY stopped breast feeding and have been dry for at least 2 months. Do you just have a body that works regardless of breast feeding, or do you stop to get pregnant? Any ideas on how I can get my cycle back sooner?
That was a perfect post! You are an amazing mother, I was always in awe of your patience and ability to manage the chaos. Not to mention, your drop of a hat willingness to serve others even with your brood in tow. I can't wait to meet the new little one, how lucky he/she is!
You are amazing. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I am so excited for you.
Congratulations!!! The world needs more Palmers! Hope you're feeling well :)
Does this mean Wendy is pregnant, too?
Congrats!!!! I love strong mommies who know how important their job is!
Congratulations! I am hoping for a boy for you guys.
Congratulations Pam and Jared! Hope you're feeling well. That was a touching post.
Oh, and I can totally picture you in that conversation giving those replies and staying totally cool. You're awesome.
Congratulations! What great news!
And LOVED this post.
Congrats!!!! I LOVED your post. You are the best! Hugs from Arizona! I wish we lived closer so we could see you guys once in a while! (maybe our 2nd birthmother will be in your town too...:) lol
Congratulations! I hope you are feeling well.
Carissa
What??? I guess I didn't even think about the ultrasound picture until I read the last sentance! Congrats! You are amazing. (And I always cry at stuff like that too. I think it is great!)
I totally remember when you first told me that story. About the other mom making that comment and also about the mother's day program from a year or so ago. You always make me laugh. I'm excited for you guys to have number six. Maybe you'll get a little boy this time! :-)
In response to Marcia....Nope, Wendy is not pregnant! Pamela is SUPER WOMAN and can handle her kids being close together. She has caught up to me and has had her five in 8 years, where it took me 10 years to have the five we've got. I am kinda a jealous though....I wish I was super and could handle my kids being close in age....actually if you think about it, if we decided to have another one, Pam would probably be pregnant with her 7th by then:-) CONGRATULATIONS to the BEST twin sister a sister could ask for! I know you are going to do/be AWESOME with this new bundle of scrumptious-ness:-)) LOVE YOU TONS!!!!!
I didn't know this when I told you I read your blog yesterday! Too funny. This is exciting news! Way to go on #6. I hope everything is going smoothly and you are feeling all right!
Congrats! What a sweet post...I couldn't help but get teary eyed. That's awesome!
Congrats! That is awesome
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! DITTO to the whole post....except about the part of expecting a 6th....not yet anyway:)
yeah pam! and jared! how fun!
This IS a good post, thank you for sharing it with me. I am going to try and absorb some of your confidence because I know you are right. This job, that I KNOW I am supposed to do, is the most important thing in my life. I should never let anyone discourage me from that :)
Post a Comment