I am sure that on occasion we all experience cognitive dissonance. Sometimes this is caused by outside influences and sometimes it is caused by undo pressures we put on how we think those situations should be or go.
I experienced such cognitive dissonance this past weekend. In preparations for my birthday celebrations I requested to my children that all I wanted for my birthday was for them to be obedient, and that this would be the ultimate gift.
I thought that this was a reasonable request since "MY" children are quite mature 6,5,2, and 1 year old. I mean I am not asking them to do this all the time just for a meager 12 hours or so.
Obviously this idea was set for disaster from the beginning.
First off my birthday was on Sunday. To put an image in your head, Emma went to church without brushing her hair and no tights on with shoes that were a little to big for her. I could have been embarrassed but she seemed to think that she looked just fine, so I put my pride aside and let her go looking like she just got out of bed. This should have been my first clue that my request was near impossible to meet.
Second off I was asking little people to do something that even us big people have a hard time doing. Setting myself up big time!
So what do I do? I acted like a child and threw a tantrum! That is right. I figured I had a right to. I also figured we will have enough in savings when they are older to pay for the therapy bills that would incur because of my manipulation that took place this day.
All this got me were a bunch of birthday cards, probably made out of guilt, that were made from the 2 older ones while I took a much needed nap.
After my nap I realized I had acted like a weirdo and apologized to everyone with whom I had tantrum ed to and made peace. I reset my expectations and enjoyed the rest of my birthday!
Come to find out there was a full moon this day. Can I just blame it on the full moon?


9 comments:
I thought it was your birthday. You should've gotten an e-mail from 123 greetings. You should open it!
Happy late birthday. Like Emma, I hope you have a better one next year. And yes, you can blame the full moon. LOL.
Oh, yeah! Totally the full moon's fault. Sorry you'll be paying for therapy later. :)
What darling cards....save them for blackmail when they're my kids ages...10,14,17,20.
When they're older they don't even think to make cute little cards! Enjoy!
Happy Belated Birthday!
Crazy Clean Freak
Happy Birthday! I'm the WORST with birthdays and I'm sorry I missed my chance to brighten your day.
And I totally blame the full moon.
I LOVED Emma's card.
And I set myself up for stuff like that all the time .....
Awwww! Those are such sweet notes from your kids. I hope you are having a better day today. Happy belated birthday from a stranger who popped onto your blog.
Pam,
I am so sorry I forgot to call and wish you a happy bday. I remembered the day before, and then forgot on Sunday. I love you. I can't believe that you are the big 30.
Love, Tami
I love that Emma wishes you a good birthday next year :) Happy B-day by the way. You are entitled to a tantrum every now and then, heaven only knows how many you've had to put up with!
Post a Comment