Friday, February 20, 2009

What do you do when......

What do you do when you hope and pray that when you leave the home to go and run errands that a freak of nature comes along and, lets say, blows a couple of trees down in strategic places on your home (both bathrooms, laundry room and kitchen) and destroys them? DO you feel bad? I say nay, nay!

What do you do when all you can dream about is how to make said rooms look like they just came from a magazine, only to wake up and realize that it is nearly impossible to do so, and you wake up grumpy and take it out on everyone else?

What do you do when you don't know what to do with said grumpiness?

What do you do when you realize that life for everyone in this country is unstable and that your demands for a "Betters Homes and Garden" home is unrealistic? Do you stop having said dreams? I say nay,nay!

I am grumpy today, because I can not stop thinking about all the things that would make this home better.

It consumes my dreams.

Is there a program for "Home improvement anonymous?"

"Hi my name is Pam and my dreams of having a nice home became obsessive and I turned into a grumpy crazy person because no one(Jared) would give into my foolish ideas!"

My husband does have a point though! With the way the market is, at least here in Michigan, and with job security so jittery right now, everything is so unknown. I mean sure we could go ahead and do all of these things. But what would happen if he were to lose his job in 6 months and we would be left with extra payments that we wouldn't be able to pay? Why does he have to be right?!?!?

This may sound terrible, but I have tried to get my husband to write to Oprah (even though I do not watch her anymore) and tell her what a wonderful wife and mother I am! And then proceed to write about our woes with our home. This would be for one of those shows that she does when they come in and fix all the projects you have started on but have never finished them, because (A) You have run out of money or (B) You have no time left in the day to finish them.

He still hasn't written her. I am convinced that if he did they would come and rescue our home from the depths of despair, and restore it to a most glorious and beautiful state. It would be one of those shows where the designers and such come in and the commentary would go something like this "Oh honey, what were you trying to do! No one deserves to live in such dangerously ugly situations! You can not live like this for one more minute! It will be a lot of work, but the results will be absolutely breathtaking!"


I have a serious problem!

Does anyone have the number to Home Improvement anonymous?

5 comments:

Denise said...

Well, I think Oprah might not be the best choice. If I remember correctly, those are for people who have had major life issues; death, disability, etc. I say that you write to one of the home improvement shows on HGTV or another channel like that. Tell them about your wonderful husband who has ALWAYS wanted a boy. Make it seem like it is all he ever dreamed about. Once they find out that you are pregnant with your 5th girl and that your dh is just the greatest dad to the girls they will surely pick you because of the inspirational story. :0)

Or, just find something else to become obsessed in you mind about. I had to put away the idea of going on a trip, so now I am spending a lot of time looking at houses to rent for less money. It has nothing to do with the trip, but I don't feel bad about not being able to go because I am so absorbed in the next issue.

Maybe we are both nesting in our own ways?

Jasmin said...

Love the post Pam! Sorry you're dreams of a beautifully finished home aren't coming true fast enough!

Rachel Sue said...

Don't you just want to curse Better Homes and Gardens for making you feel like your house just isn't good enough? Or your sister in law? Cause I do. Know how you're feeling. Sometimes reorganizing helps. And sometimes it's just more work. . . Good luck with Oprah.

Diane said...

Isn't there a likelyhood of a few more ice storms coming in MI this year??? Maybe your dreams are gone yet. Go swimming at the city pool and relax!!!!
Love you

Gary D said...

I have similar thoughts Pam - except mine revolve around fire! Maybe we could both do each other the favor an both build from the ashes! Of course, I'd be devastated if it ever happened, but this home is just so small and needs so much work...you're not alone!