Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What did you hear me say?

I thought I would share one of the many ways I try to stay sane in the midst of all the insanity around here.

Any who have ever had children, or even any who work with children, know that they often will respond to a question with, "HUH?" or "What did you say?" or the excuse you get from older children "I didn't hear you say that!".

When Emma was a toddler I found myself repeating what I had just said over and over and driving myself insane. One day I said "What did you hear me say?" And you know what? She said back to me almost word for word what I had just said.

Praise everything that is good and wonderful! I had found a solution to this problem.

To this day I use the question "What did you hear me say?". It is interesting to see how Emma and Sera try to avoid answering this question at times. Especially when it proves to be a disadvantage for them. Like when I have asked them to do something and they have chosen to ignore me.

This question helps you to be able to figure out what the child has interpreted or heard. And as a parent I feel it is vital to understand your child's point of view. Even if it may be a little off from what you would like.

If you find yourself repeating things over and over, try saying to your child or spouse :)
"What did you hear me say?" I hope it works for you like it has for me.

6 comments:

Happy Mom said...

I'm really struggling with my kids doing what I ask lately. Asking for the fourth time is getting REALLY old!

Gonna try this! Thanks!

Denise said...

I say, "What did I just say?". It works, as well. However, I like your twist on it because it gives them more accountability. I'll have to try it.

Nikki S said...

Hey Pam, I just realized I don't have your email. We are looking at houses for sale, and your house that you rented is one that our realtor is taking us to on Saturday. I was wondering if you could give me any insights, warnings, etc. I guess, would you buy it?
thanks Nicole Stott
nikkistott@yahoo.com

Nola said...

Great idea! I am totally going to try it!
Thanks for the butterfly idea (sorry I didn't give you credit). As you can see Matyas loved it!
Also, just so you know, my pans are shiny because they didn't get used much the first 3 years of marriage. Through my work we ate about 10 meals a week in the cafeteria, so I am just now learning how to cook for a family!

Adrienne said...

I love it. I love learning how you mother, because you are such an amazing example.

Harmony said...

Wow, that's a great idea! When Megan starts to talk, hopefully I'll remember to use this!